Farnsley Middle School

wildcat mascot

Youth Services Center

BJ Mahew, Coordinator
Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday-Friday

Youth Services Centers are designed to help remove barriers to student learning. Each Center assists students and families through programs, referrals to outside agencies and by partnering with groups within and outside of the school. Programs and services are determined by the needs of the population served, available resources, location and other local characteristics. The Centers work with families to improve students’ attendance, to decrease problems with behavior or suspensions, to offer academic support, to deal with mental/physical health issues and to offer parent support and assistance. All students and families are served regardless of income.

The Farnsley Youth Services Center (YSC) has been created as part of the Kentucky Education Reform Act. The intent of the YSC is to enhance students’ abilities to succeed in school by assisting and supporting children, youth, and families in meeting both social and educational needs. This is done by providing services and linking families to community resources.

The Farnsley YSC serves both students and their families. Services/needs addressed through the YSC include the following:

The YSC has an Advisory Council comprised of school personnel, parents, students and community representatives. For more information, contact BJ Mayhew

Advisory Council Meetings are held at 3:00 PM on the following dates:

Frequently asked questions

Where can I find information about physical and immunizations?

Remember all incoming 6th graders must have a current physical and immunizations, and incoming 9th graders must have immunizations. You can contact your YSC Coordinator, your Neighborhood Place or the Health Department for assistance. Health and immunization requirements can be found at http://www.jcpsky.net/Schools/Health_Descriptions.html.

Where can I go to get assistance for mental health issues (family, school, anger, alcohol or drug problems)?

Contact your YSC Coordinator to find specific counseling services available for your child’s school. You may also call the Crisis and Information number – 589-1100. Mental Health emergencies may go to Kosair Children’s Emergency Room at 231 E. Chestnut St.

What can I do with my child when he/she refuses to go to school?

As the student’s parent/guardian you are responsible for getting your child to school. If your child misses nine (9) unexcused days of school he/she will be referred to Pupil Personnel and possibly court. This means he/she will be considered truant. If you think your child has school phobia or other issues you may want to contact a mental health professional or call your YSC Coordinator.

How can I apply for FREE/reduced-price lunch and fee waiver?

You must apply for FREE/reduced-price lunch every year. Make sure the school has your correct address. The form will be mailed to your home during the summer for you to complete and return. More information is available at http://www.jcpsky.net/Departments/NutritionServices/frlunch/index.html. If you need any help, please contact your YSC Coordinator.

Click here for the JCPS Family Resource and Youth Services Center website.

Additional Resource Links: