Gavin H. Cochran Elementary School is located in the heart of Old Louisville. This location opened in 1991. The former Cochran Elementary School building still stands at the southeast corner of Second and Hill Streets and is now a part of the Youth Performing Arts School (YPAS). The original building was built in 1900 and was an elite school for the children of wealthy shipbuilders in kindergarten through eighth grade. Children living outside of the city limits even paid tuition to attend Cochran. The second street buildings were Cochran Elementary from 1900 to 1991. It was named after Gavin H. Cochran, who was president of the Louisville School Board. In 1991, the school relocated to its current address at 500 West Gaulbert Avenue to make room for a computer lab and media arts center.
Today Cochran benefits from its Old Louisville partnerships. U of L faculty and students are welcomed into Cochran as part of the PDS initiative. This professional development is provided through the PDS model by professors of education who are experts in their field. Cochran host student teachers each semester and houses a classroom exclusively for U of L students and faculty. Cochran has focused heavily on community involvement and using the resources these relationships afford. For example, Cochran partners annually with the St. James Art Show to provide parking for the event. All proceeds are given to the classroom teachers who donate their time to the cause. This money is spent on field trips, extensions to the classroom and other activities which enhance student achievement. Cochran Elementary continues to promote its expectations for all stake holders: “C-A-T-S = Care for yourself and others, Achieve at high levels, Try your best, Stay positive”. The school prides itself on its motto, “Where children come first.” As long as the school has high expectations for all stakeholders, the students will continue to grow and learn.